The characterization of single mode and multi mode fiber can be performed by this experiment setup. The set up contains optical rail & carriers system for mounting & adjusting optical components required for experiments. Laser diode used as a source of light & light coupled to fiber by using objective lens on fiber coupled setup. The coupling efficiency monitor with photo detector detecting the light coming out from end of fiber. The output ends is hold by mount and detector hold on translation stage.
This setup helps to understand concept of numerical aperture, coupling of light and bending loss etc. Numerical aperture can be calculated by output light of optical fiber using photo detector or white screen mounted on translation stage. All components of setup constructed by corrosion resistant materials like stainless steel and aluminum alloy.
- Numerical aperture measurement of multi-mode fiber.
- Measurement of bending loss in multi-mode fiber.
- Numerical aperture measurement of single mode fiber.
- Calculation of normalized frequency or V-number of single mode fiber.
- Calculation of mode field diameter of single mode fiber.
- Precision kinematic mounts for optical components
- High precision laser coupler to fiber
- Assembly of setup is very easy
|Experimental set up Contain||Quantity|
|Optical rail with stands length 1000 mm
Diode laser <5mW (650nm or 532nm)
Diode laser power supply
Kinematic laser mount
Laser fiber coupler with mount
Microscope objective (Magnification 10X)
Bending loss apparatus (Step diameter 25,35,45,55 mm)
Single mode optical fiber
Multi-mode optical fiber (750,1000 & 1500 micron)
Photo Detector with mount
Photo Detector Current meter
Fiber adaptor with mount
White screen (Acrylic)